Can you be too good for your own good?
YES! I think you can.
When we get used to being the answer woman (or man) in our families and businesses, we have this sense of knowing all there is to know. This belief shuts down our ability to look at new situations with a beginner’s mind and sense of curiosity. We will limit ourselves from new experiences because we don’t want to look foolish or look like a newbie (or as my sons like too say — a rookie). So our confidence might actually stop us from learning new things because let’s face it, it’s good to be a master!
How can being a rookie actually feel good? Well, one good thing about being a rookie, is that when I am a rookie, I make sure everyone knows I am a rookie. It gives me permission to ask the dumb questions, to not do it perfectly (or even right) and to go at my own pace.
So far this year I have been a rookie at:
- NHL Hockey Fan. I have since become a huge Chicago Blackhawks just in time for them to win the President’s Cup for the best record in all of the NHL.
- Social Media. I am now hosting our first Twitter Chat ever, counting on the expertise of Lightspan Digital to start strong.
- Spinning Classs. I have another exercise to add to my repertoire, thanks to Career Girl Network and their sweatworking events.
- Spanish Speaking. Well, the CDs are speaking. I’m listening!
If I didn’t allow myself to be a rookie, if I stayed where I was supremely confident, I would never have opened myself up to these wonderful new experiences. Not to mention that most of my teachers have been my 20 and 30-somethings. Now that’s a role reversal!
Here are my 4 Tips For ENJOYING Being a Rookie:
- Stay curious … so I stick with it.
- Be willing … to accept help.
- Be coachable … on both techniques and perspectives.
- Show growth … to feel like I’m making progress (and so my teachers don’t get impatient with me).
It seems simple. Yet it is very humbling.
Share with us:
- Where have you been a rookie this year?
- Where are you willing to be a rookie to learn and grow?
Be a rookie with us:
Take on learning something new during 15 Days To WOW(SM) starting May 6.